Monday, August 22, 2005

Who is Certain?





I had a thought yesterday. Why do religious people get bent out of shape by people who don’t share their beliefs or have no specific religious beliefs? Ask a religious person, “Are you certain there is a God?” In my experience, most of them will emphatically state that they are certain. If you then ask them, “Do you believe in gravity,” while you might get a quizzical look or sarcastic comment, if you press them they will admit that yes, they believe in gravity.

Tell them, “I think gravity is superstition. There is no evidence that there is a gravitational force attracting objects to each other.” Does this anger them? Does it create doubt in their minds?

Not usually. They walk away shaking their heads, thinking, “what a nut!”

However, if you tell them you think their religion is superstition and there is no evidence to support their beliefs, many of them get angry. Why? Is it because they are not certain? It can’t be because we are a threat, can it? I mean, who’s bigger, God, or me? Who’s going to hell, them or me? Who is certain?

***

I watched a Bill Hicks performance video over the weekend (a bit disappointing, I might add. I think his “Rant in E Minor” is better.) He told a story of where he did a bit that bashed Christianity and after the show some men confronted him and said, “We don’t like what you said!”

He responded, “You’re Christians?”

“Yes!”

“Then forgive me.”

***

Don’t forget to check out this week’s Top 10.

9 Comments:

Blogger Bobby Lightfoot said...

Ha! I love how Becker is standing behind Fagen looking like the cat that ate th' canary.

Gods indeed.

2:30 PM  
Blogger The Viscount LaCarte said...

Bobby,

Yeah, isn't that picture just HILARIOUS?

2:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Al!

The Top Ten was awesome! Did you see the:

Get a Brain!
Morans!

Sign??? Ha-ha-ha-! :)

Waaaay better than my "People I Hate" quick post idea!

Thanks for that link. It's cracking me up! I think I'm going to have to swipe that photo and post it on my blog...

Also loved (genuine love) -- the Steely Dan photo -- BL is right, they are indeed Gods.

4:49 AM  
Blogger The Viscount LaCarte said...

BG - Check out the link to the Top 10 http://www.democraticunderground.com/top10/05/198.html

from my "Voting for Pirates" post. There is some wild stuff there.

6:28 AM  
Blogger Neil Shakespeare said...

You might have to put Pat Robertson back on the top ten list. He's now encouraging Christians to assassinate foreign leaders.

6:57 AM  
Blogger The Viscount LaCarte said...

Neil - just to make sure you know - that isn't MY top 10 list - I just link to it.

They take suggestions there, but he will probably show up soon anyway.

8:11 AM  
Blogger Melissa McEwan said...

“Then forgive me.”

God, I love Bill Hicks.

8:42 AM  
Blogger The Viscount LaCarte said...

Hey Sis! Nice to see you here at Chez Viscount! Thanks for the visit and comments.

I can only imagine what Bill would be saying if he was still here...

9:42 AM  
Blogger The Viscount LaCarte said...

Steve,

You are welcome here anytime.

I was raised a Christian and have respect for the teachings of Jesus Christ, and indeed I wish that everyone who called themselves Christians behaved according to those teachings. The world would be a much better place. Christ wanted us to care about the poor, to be peacful, and treat everyone with compassion and respect. Sadly, some people have decided to focus on the book of revelations, instead of the Gospels, and these are the people who by my observation are more "anti-Christian" than any atheist or agnostic that I have ever met.

What I would want you to understand is that these new Evangilicial End-times Christians are scaring the heck out of me, and I can't help but be derisive of them.

7:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home