Friday, September 16, 2005

Schrodinger's President


This is unscientific.

Still.

I can’t help but believe that if Al Gore had been the president, and had been re-elected in 2004, things would be much better today. There would have been no war in Iraq. Saddam may have collapsed under the pressure of inspections and sanctions. We may have avoided the 9/11 terrorist attacks, maybe not. Had they occurred, we would have captured or killed Bin Laden and would have crippled Al Qaeda. The economy would have been in much better shape. There would be a budget surplus. There would be a program in place to make healthcare more affordable.

Katrina hits. Maybe the levees break, maybe not. If they did, rescue operations and relief efforts would have been done in a timely, compassionate and professional manner. Less people would have died. Less people would have suffered.

And the Republicans and their idiot media shills would be telling us that the country was sliding to hell on Satan’s sled.

There has been a lot of talk about who should be the nominee in ’08. Someone over at Shakespeare’s Sister’s place said "Al Gore," and at the time I hadn’t considered him. I now think he would be great. I know he isn’t perfect, but compared to the other potential Democrats he has the experience and leadership skills that are needed to stop the idiocy dead in its tracks.

***
Etc.

M.T. Vanus, an infrequent contributor [one of his insightful comments can be read here,] but loyal reader alerted me to The Union of Concerned Scientists effort to Defend Science from Political Misuse. The current administration’s misdeeds are numerous, and their disregard for and attack on science surely must be at the top of the list. I think this is a noble cause and I urge anyone who cares about the future to take a minute and get involved.

***

I heard a sound byte the other day from DL Hughley. I can’t find a link, but it went something like this: “The Bush administration sent Dick Cheney to New Orleans to help comfort the victims. Cheney comforting the victims? That would be like comforting a baby by giving him a cactus!”

4 Comments:

Blogger XTCfan said...

>Katrina hits.<

Maybe not! Global warming has already been shown in studies to be contributing to stronger, more-frequent storms ... if Al had gained office in 2000 (notice I didn't say "won," since he already DID), the U.S. wouldn't have stepped away from the Kyoto protocol, and the government would have been investing some of the surplus on research into new technologies to reduce emissions and improve efficiency.

*Sigh.*

1:34 PM  
Blogger Eidin said...

I wonder if Al Gore would do it, run again?

2:33 PM  
Blogger Neil Shakespeare said...

I don't think there's any fucking question we'd be better off, no matter WHO it was! You could have taken some homeless dude off the streets and made him president and we'd be better off.

7:57 PM  
Blogger The Viscount LaCarte said...

>I wonder if Al Gore would do it, run again? <

It is a little early, but I suspect he is thinking about it. Today I think it is a good idea. We'll see what happens.

NS - I said this as a comment elsewhere, can't remember where, but I think a "Gumby" doll sitting in the oval office would have made a better president!

8:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home