Tuesday, November 08, 2005

The Ballad of Peter Pumpkinhead

Election day. Nothing going on in my district until ’06.

This is a cliché, I know, but I’ve really grown tired of the hacks that are constantly presented to us as candidates. I want someone I can believe in, someone I can defend, someone that I can look up to, someone with the gumption to stand up against the corruption and the lies and to lead this nation into a future of prosperity and goodwill toward the other nations of the world.

I’ve written about Howard Dean before. The Viscountess and I were so hopeful back in ’02 when we became aware of his candidacy. In ’03 we took the day off from work and went to Earthlink Live in Atlanta and cheered his official announcement speech. On July 4th we marched in a local parade with the other early Dean supporters. We read his speeches and watched the debates. We contributed money, something that neither of us ever thought we would do. We watched the other Democratic candidates sputter and feign outrage at his candid statements that refreshingly spoke the truth to those of us who were so tired of the specious rhetoric that comes out of politicians’ mouths. We came to the realization that the idiots in charge of the democratic party would rather lose than have Dean on the ballot. And, we watched the fools in Iowa turn against him because they were insulted at his comments about the absurdity of the Iowa caucuses, proving his point.

We didn’t watch the endless looping of his infamous scream.

(From the above link:)

Dean's "I have a scream" speech was seen as a major turning point, and certainly contributed to his losing the Democratic nomination. Television across the country aired video of his appearance before a rally of his supporters, where he shouted loudly and eventually let loose with a shrieking yowl that was widely derided as not seeming "presidential." What most of the media failed to mention or notice was that Dean had used a specific type of noise-canceling microphone, specifically designed to hear only the user's voice and filter out the roar of a raucous crowd. Other recordings of the same event showed that people in the room could barely hear Dean at all, as he hollered to be heard over the cheering audience at his pep rally.

And so it was over. His viability as a national candidate shattered. He made too many enemies. We finally got someone who had the temerity to tell the truth, and tired old hacks from his own party like Kerry, Gephardt and Liebermann couldn’t stand it. I was sickened when I found myself having to defend and vote for the likes of John Kerry - a candidate so inept that he was unable to defend his own legitimate, decorated war- record against a the non-record of a drunken, spoiled fratboy who used family connections to avoid the draft and then didn't bother to even show up for his last year in the guard.

I am optimistic that things will get better. They have to. BushCo just keeps digging the hole deeper and deeper, and even another terrorist attack won’t save them. That said, I doubt that I will like anyone they run as much as I liked Dean, and I can’t help but be a bit angry about the way he was treated by his own party.

***

The Ballad of Peter Pumpkinhead
by Andy Partridge

Peter Pumpkinhead came to town
Spreading wisdom and cash around
Fed the starving and housed the poor
Showed the vatican what gold's for
But he made too many enemies
Of the people who would keep us on our knees
Hooray for Peter Pumpkin
Who'll pray for Peter Pumpkinhead?
Oh my!

Peter Pumpkinhead pulled them all
Emptied churches and shopping malls
Where he spoke, it would raise the roof
Peter Pumpkinhead told the truth
But he made too many enemies...
Peter Pumpkinhead put to shame
Governments who would slur his name
Plots and sex scandals failed outright
Peter merely said
Any kind of love is alright

But he made too many enemies...
Peter Pumpkinhead was too good
Had him nailed to a chunk of wood
He died grinning on live TV
Hanging there he looked a lot like you
And an awful lot like me!
But he made too many enemies...
Hooray for Peter Pumpkin
Who'll pray for Peter Pumpkin
Hooray for Peter Pumpkinhead
Oh my oh my oh!
Doesn't it make you want to cry oh?


© 1992 Virgin Music (Publishers) Ltd.
From "Nonsuch." - Snippet of this most excellent song can be heard here.

Thanks to Dr. Jeffrey Wall, M.D. for his kind permission to reproduce the copyrighted image above.

6 Comments:

Blogger XTCfan said...

I take hope in the fact that Dean is now heading the party, and the Dems seem to be exhibiting some backbone, as evidenced by Harry Reid's recent actions, etc.

I voted today, and have my fingers crossed for Democratic victories in my state of Virginia (and in other states). I signed up to volunteer with the party, and am looking forward to taking back the Congress in 2006.

It must be done.


lepnb

10:46 AM  
Blogger Eidin said...

I love the image. Tim Burtonish...

The primary system has flaws - big flaws. Gov. Dean is now in a leadership position where he can make some much needed changes. I admire him greatly and appreciate what he has already done for the party.

I'm with xtcfan. Sure I'm disappointed with the outcome of the last national election and as a Californian, I have plently to be disappointed about with regard to Ah-nold and his Republican power plays. However, I'm now actively involved in the local Dem Party and doing what I can to get a good, progressive Dem into Congress.

If either Dean, Edwards or Kerry had been elected in 04, they would have inherited an awful Congress.

1:43 PM  
Blogger Kevin Wolf said...

Well, Al, I think I've said this before but I've pretty much written off the Dems. Naturally, the Republicans are much, much worse. But that's no excuse; the Democrats have to get much, much better.

I'm no longer affiliated with any party and I'll take each candidate as they come. If a Dem catches my eye and seems to have the goods, they can have my vote.

But they've got to prove they deserve it. I'm still not convinced the Democratic Party leadership can do that.

2:40 PM  
Blogger Eidin said...

I'm so jazzed. Victory all around last night (except for Texas). The Dem candidate I've been voluteering for won her race last night. Ah-nold's dumb ass "reforms" went down in flames and his arrogance and stupidity have unified unions in CA like never before. Party tonight I'll tell you...!!

And, Kevin, don't make me turn Reid and his posse lose on you... ;)

11:51 AM  
Blogger Eidin said...

"loose" even

2:58 PM  
Blogger The Viscount LaCarte said...

I'm so sick of "Ahnold" - he's an imbecile that used his fame to buy the office. I'm glad his reforms went down in flames.

I'm with you calidem - there is cause for celebration!

3:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home