Friday, November 11, 2005

Just A Reminder


Most of my readers are probably aware of the following statements made by Dick Cheney in 1992, but revisiting them yesterday made me angry all over again.

"I think that the proposition of going to Baghdad is also fallacious. I think if we were going to remove Saddam Hussein we would have had to go all the way to Baghdad, we would have to commit a lot of force because I do not believe he would wait in the Presidential Palace for us to arrive. I think we'd have had to hunt him down. And once we'd done that and we'd gotten rid of Saddam Hussein and his government, then we'd have had to put another government in its place."

"What kind of government? Should it be a Sunni government or Shi'i government or a Kurdish government or Ba'athist regime? Or maybe we want to bring in some of the Islamic fundamentalists? How long would we have had to stay in Baghdad to keep that government in place? What would happen to the government once U.S. forces withdrew? How many casualties should the United States accept in that effort to try to create clarity and stability in a situation that is inherently unstable?"

"I think it is vitally important for a President to know when to use military force. I think it is also very important for him to know when not to commit U.S. military force. And it's my view that the President got it right both times, that it would have been a mistake for us to get bogged down in the quagmire inside Iraq."

Does anyone remember them being discussed, presented, or even mentioned by Fox or CNN or any of the MSM's during the ramp-up to the war? What about after it all came to pass? Why does the "liberal" media dredge up meaningless off-the-cuff statements to embarrass "liberals" like Howard Dean, (and influence the electorate in this case!) but not relevant ones to make "self-servatives" like Dick Cheney accountable for their actions that have a profound impact on millions of people?

While I'm at it, here is something President Bush once said....

"Let me say a few words about important values we must demonstrate while all of us serve in government. First, we must always maintain the highest ethical standards. We must always ask ourselves not only what is legal, but what is right. There is no goal of government worth accomplishing if it cannot be accomplished with integrity."

"Second, I want us to set an example of humility. As you work for the federal government there is no excuse for arrogance, and there's never a reason to show disrespect for others. A new tone in Washington must begin with decency and fairness. I want everyone who represents our government to be known for these values."

Oh wait! I forgot! How could I have been be so stupid? None of the above matters, when held up in contrast against the infamous pack of lies muttered by the most despicable man to ever walk the face of the earth, President William Jefferson Clinton.

"Listen to me, I'm going to say this again. I did not have sexual relations with that woman, Miss Lewinsky."

My bad.

3 Comments:

Blogger Kevin Wolf said...

OUCH!

(Except it's always the wrong people hurting.)

2:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just breathe into this paper bag, nd repeath this mantra until the pain goes away:

9/11 changed everything.
9/11 changed everything.
9/11 changed everything.
9/11 changed everything.
9/11 changed everything.
9/11 changed everything.
9/11 changed everything.
9/11 changed everything.
9/11 changed everything.

Feel better now? Gooood. Shopping is fun.

11:49 PM  
Blogger Neil Shakespeare said...

Destined to forget.

9:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home