Tuesday, November 01, 2005

You'd Have to be A Liberal To Be That Stupid


Soundsurfr has written a fine post about how some right wing imbeciles just assume that they can disparage liberals with impunity. (Of course I think it is fine, as I have written on the subject myself.) I want to hear your story of a similar experience. If you have a blog, drop a link in the comments section. I will post the links. If you do not, then use my comment section to tell your story. The story doesn’t have to be restricted to anti-liberal bias. It could be that you are in a bi-racial relationship, that you are a homosexual, or whatever. The idea is to relate an incident where someone assumed that you were one of them, or just didn’t care if you weren’t. I want to hear about it whether you spoke up or not. In Sound’s story, he has vowed to speak up the next time, as I have advocated doing in the past right here at Chéz LaCarte. Not that I always do, but there have been circumstances recently where I have done so, and I wasn’t sorry.

As I have mentioned previously, I get lots of right-wing e-mails from friends on the “other side.” Out of sheer futility and boredom, I usually just delete them and never send out my pro-liberal emails back at them because I got tired of getting responses in ALL CAPS laced with profanity and invective. I do however, respond to misinformation, lies, myths and distortions sometimes. A hot-button for me is the “Christian Nation” e-mails. The truth is, I really don’t give a rat about “Under God” in the pledge, “In God We Trust” on the cash. Those things are meaningless to me, but I do get scared when people start advocating policies that wrecklessly steer us toward a Theocracy. I’m also consistently amazed and disappointed in the stupidity of religious zealots who don’t see that separation of church and state was insisted upon by Christian clerics as well as the framers of the Constitution because it protects the religious as much if not more than the agnostics and atheists.

So when I get emails like these, I do hit reply and try to set them straight. Not with the anger and bile that is screaming to pour out of my fingers like a Mormon’s “enthusiasm” on his wedding night, but with civility and references to evidence. People need to know.

***
Don’t forget this week’s Top 10.

***
Apologies to Bobby for stealing his idea for the graphic.

7 Comments:

Blogger Soundsurfr said...

It's time to join the Liberal Rights Movement!

Viscount, your comments about efforts to establish a plutocracy at the expense of anyone who would oppose it are spot on - life in this country is becoming more Orwellian each day.

"In times of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act." -George Orwell-

11:35 AM  
Blogger XTCfan said...

Maybe you should send your wingnut "friends" here.

qxpfvl

3:19 PM  
Blogger Neil Shakespeare said...

LOL. Gee, V., what is that Mormon enthusiasm that pours out on his wedding night? Is it...the words of the angel Moroni?

6:39 AM  
Blogger Kevin Wolf said...

I have no story to tell offhand. I'll think on it.

I like the links to snopes - which is pretty useful in these deluded days.

7:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The only story I can think of is when I was talking to my mom on the phone several years ago -- and she was lambasting liberals - and after a few minutes, I said -- "Mom! J. and I are liberals!! What do you mean by that?!" And she goes, stutter - stutter -- "Well, you're not THAT kind!"

She was just brainwashed -- I've been working on her ever since...I'm not sure if she's actually coming around -- or she just puts up with me to be polite.

11:51 PM  
Blogger Melissa McEwan said...

Mine is similar to Blue Girl's. My dad is a huge O'Reilly devotee, and one night I just bluntly asked him, "Don't you at all have a problem watching someone who calls people like me traitors? How am I a traitor?" He blinked and looked as if I'd hit him with a 2X4. As if it had never occurred to him that I might be offended by the constant barrage of lunacy against liberals.

The saddest part is that my dad used to be a Democrat.

6:46 PM  
Blogger Bobby Lightfoot said...

Old white guys tend to get that disease.

4:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home