Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Don't Skip The Matinee

By now we all know that the world isn’t fair. Talented people go unnoticed and losers crowd the airwaves. One really great thing about the internet is that the talented ones at least can get some exposure for those of us who don’t care for the mainstream and are constantly looking to hear some good music that doesn’t neatly fit into a box or on video.

Bobby Lightfoot reminds me somewhat of the Jack Black character in “High Fidelity” (which by the way is a "must see" for record geeks!) Possessing a rough and tumble exterior that belies a sensitive and sublime musical talent below the surface, his music might make you actually stop what you are doing and listen. If all you know about Bobby is his web persona, you might expect his music to be somewhere in between Gwar and The Clash, but you'd be mistaken. I have no doubt that he is capable of music that resembles either, but his most recent output sounds like what I imagine a mix of Paul McCartney and Michael Penn could be.

Bobby tells me this song is about a decision to never marry. It is a beautiful recording, arranged perfectly. Not one note is superfluous. None of the instruments step on each other’s toes. I love the vocals, lead and background. To listen to the song now, please click the song title to hear the recording courtesy of Bobby Lightfoot and Putfile.


Matinee
By Bobby Lightfoot

Don't know where to go
But I'm gonna run away...
Don't know where it is
But I'm gonna find it anyway...

Gonna skip the matinee...

All the little girls
Wonder in their upturned faces
All the little boys
Want to tie their own shoelaces
As the lights fade away...

Gonna skip the matinee...

Because you make me feel...
You make me feel...
You make me feel like the curtain might catch me crying...

When I was a child
Mother took me to a movie
Starring her and dad
All about the art of losing gracefully...

Gonna miss the passion play...

Because you make me feel...
You make me feel...
You make me feel like the curtain might catch me crying...


More of Bobby’s music can be heard here.
Related post:
Sweet Regret.

2 Comments:

Blogger XTCfan said...

What you said. This is one of my favorite albums of 2005. Bobby's a fine composer, player (of everything on the album except for the string quartet), singer, and arranger. And he makes a terrific vegan souffle. Two thumbs and two big toes up.


bsmtmz (where all my studios have been located)

5:43 PM  
Blogger Kevin Wolf said...

Yep. I'm among the Bobbyfied myself. Some of his stuff is just plain gorgeous and we can all use that now and again, especially these days.

6:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home