Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Offensive News Footage


Over the past 6 months I’ve been treated to video footage of a beating, a shooting at a Home Depot Parking lot, and the running over of a mother and her three children by an automobile, all courtesy of my local news. Local news. None of these things happened locally. Not a single one. None of them involved anyone who was from the Atlanta area. The only reason these events were aired on the local news was the fact that the events were captured on tape and made available to the station.

This angers me.

I’m angry because someone has made an editorial decision that these gruesome documents are deemed newsworthy. I’m angry because these are tragic events that involve real people, and their tragedy is being trivialized and treated almost as entertainment. I’m angry that real violence and accidental mayhem are now routinely broadcasted into millions of homes. I’m not only angry at the fact that these stories which have absolutely no local relevance whatsoever are being piped into peoples’ homes, but I’m also angry at what isn’t being presented to all of us in lieu of these gruesome videos. I’m angry that the government has ordered the MSM to avoid showing the images of our soldiers coming home in caskets, and this order is being obeyed by our so-called free press. The same MSM has no issues with broadcasting video footage of a mother and her children being run over by a car and judge such footage as perfectly acceptable for my family and me to watch over breakfast.

This also disappoints me.

I’m disappointed because people apparently inured to these images. I’m disappointed because people expect these images and accept them. I’m disappointed because there obviously isn’t an outcry from the public over the airing of such footage.

This stands in stark contrast to airing of Janet Jackson’s nipple-clamp adorned teat.

Remember that? Janet Jackson's teat caused such an intense uproar you’d a thought that they aired a tape of a bunch of punk kids mercilessly beating a homeless man with baseball bats for fun. There were editorials. There were apologies. There were conversations in the office about it. I was in London when it happened. Their news coverage of this event was hilarious. The people there were baffled and amused at the level of hysteria that had been aroused by 3 or 4 seconds of Janet Jackson’s unattractive 40 year-old nipple-clamped teat. In England, they think naked men running around a football field kicking a soccer ball with their flaccid penises bouncing around is acceptable comedic entertainment. On free television no less. When they visit America, they can’t understand why words like “shit” or “asshole” are routinely "bleeped" from televised movies, why an attractive lady’s bare breasts are considered offensive and censored, but Arnold shooting up 200 people in one movie is not?

Personally, I’m with The English on that one.

8 Comments:

Blogger Yukkione said...

I agree. I'm an online gamer and use voice chat to talk to people from all over the world everyday. Simple gameplay is often replaced with talk of news of the day or other current events. It's amazing how sheltered and ignorant we Americans are. The way we let the evangelicals scrub our media free of all sexual references yet as you say Arnold can blow people away during the family hour. They fight so hard against a womans right to choose yet to kill 100,000 Iraqi civilians is justified.

6:04 PM  
Blogger Bobby Lightfoot said...

Man, you've really hit on something here.

any more pictures of th' bunnies?

rhfomy- Aramaic for "missing the point"

7:39 PM  
Blogger Neil Shakespeare said...

And since we're so innured to it, then why NOT show us the caskets? Why NOT show us the rest of the Abu Ghraib tapes? We can take it! Look what we see on the news each night! Not to mention what RIGHT have they not to show us.

3:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I never expected such passion and honesty from a member of the effete European aristocracy.

I'm not surprised you're with the British. (Some of the British.)

8:12 AM  
Blogger XTCfan said...

Right on, Al. If we're going to encourage anything, let's encourage a love of the human body, rather than a fascination with its destruction.

Along these same lines, I've been appalled for commercials for a Quentin Tarantino-produced film called, I think, "Hostel." Essentially, the commercials -- which run at all times during the day on satellite TV and use the old 1950s-vintage "don't see this film if you're faint of heart!" gimmick -- make it look like a torture-n-snuff film ... and glorify this fact! And don't even get me started on Bell-End Gibson and "The Passion of the Christ"...


itpmjckk

11:58 AM  
Blogger XTCfan said...

Also ... not to worry, Viscount -- Senate Commerce Committee Chairman Ted Stevens (R-Alaska) (also a big total fucking asshole and pimp for the oil industry) has convened a full committee hearing on decency of the media. Please note that Sen. Stevens has indicated that he prefers industry self-regulation before increased government controls.

But I'm sure he'll do something about all them teats.


zpyomwd (zip yo' meapons of wass destruction!)

12:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, I so agree with you Al -- local news is awful. And what *we* get all charged up over compared to things we could get charged up over -- makes no sense.

Hey, how'd you get that picture of me? If I remember right, I didn't send you one!
:)

(For some reason, it's not letting me leave my name -- let me see if this works....)

5:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The last comment was from blue girl....it wouldn't let me fill in my info...

5:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home