Monday, February 13, 2006

Dick Cheney, Sportsman

I’m no hunter. I don’t like killing things, and I don’t particularly care for guns. If someone said, “I’ll pay you your regular wages to go deer hunting," I’d turn them down and go to my regular job.

Every time.

Still, I’m no hypocrite. I eat meat and have no plans of becoming a vegetarian. I respect the true sportsman that hunts. Many of them care about animals and the environment, and have an interest in conservation.

So while the blogworthy story about Cheney’s hunting accident is the fact that there was a delay in notifying the news agencies, it is the other story that interests me. Dick Cheney is not a sportsman.

I found this link, courtesy of Crooks and Liars. It describes the deplorable and sadistic sort of hunting that the Vice President favors.

Figures.

***

Don’t forget this week’s Top 10.

8 Comments:

Blogger Soundsurfr said...

Jeebiz. The more I read about this man the more he creeps me out.

Thanks for the perspective.

10:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Petting zoo hunting.

Is there anything authentic about this group of people?

jxbmxwhi!!!!!!!! I scream as Cheney shoots me in the face......

10:15 AM  
Blogger Eidin said...

Truly depressing. My dad refers to Cheney as "the piranha."

BTW - Poi-fect photo of Cheney Monster.

7:03 PM  
Blogger Eidin said...

Please forgive me, but I have something utterly tasteless to share with you all:

Cheney's Got a Gun

The new game.

7:11 PM  
Blogger The Viscount LaCarte said...

Funny!

Can't wait to see what Jon Stewart does with this one. I sure hope someone posts it to C&L...

7:18 PM  
Blogger Kevin Wolf said...

"Petting zoo hunting." Brilliant.

I have no ethical qualms with actual hunting in which participants hunt. But this?

There's no area of live or death in which the Bush crowd does not do the worst, most awful thing possible.

wfsgss - Run! Cheney has released poison gas!

12:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ethical hunting, by my lights, would have to fall into one of a few categories:
1. Your family is hungry and needs the meat and skins. (I read a lot of books about the frontier in my youth.)
2. The animal is a predator threatening your life or your livestock.
3. The animal is damaging your land or crops.
4. Your region is overpopulated with the animal. See Deer, whitetail. In this case the meat should be eaten or given to the local food bank, and use made of the skins.
5. The hunter should be capable of trekking in, killing and field-dressing the animal, and getting it out by him/herself.

In no circumstances should the head wind up on "trophy wall".

Nor should the animal be raised in an artificial environment and released just for the hunter's perverted gratification. (See Cheney v. Whittington).

I'm not a hunter, not because of any overdeveloped ethical sense (Great porkchops tonight, honey!) but because neither my father nor any male relatives hunted, and I never got interested in it.

8:53 PM  
Blogger Neil Shakespeare said...

Yeah, no shit. I've got a brother (evil one) who does that kind of 'hunting'. They sit in a shack and drink beer and owner of the game farm brings around a cage full of quail and opens it up in front of them and they kill away. I asked him what the sport was in that and he just shrugged and said, "I just like to kill things." Oh, and he's an evangelical Republican, did I mention that?

10:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home