Friday, February 03, 2006

We Shoulda Listened To Stevie

Stevie tried to warn us some years back.

As an aside, or maybe the main point, this is perhaps the perfect Stevie Wonder record. It funks, it rocks, it has a killer clavinet riff (on top of a second one!) and an ominous infectous horn part that just cuts through the track and underscores the intensity and the message of the lyric.

Superstition
By Stevie Wonder
From Talking Book

Very superstitious, writing's on the wall,
Very superstitious, ladders bout' to fall,
Thirteen month old baby, broke the lookin' glass
Seven years of bad luck, the good things in your past.

When you believe in things that you don't understand,
Then you suffer,
Superstition ain't the way

Very superstitious, wash your face and hands,
Rid me of the problem, do all that you can,
Keep me in a daydream, keep me goin' strong,
You don't wanna save me, sad is my song.

When you believe in things that you don't understand,
Then you suffer,
Superstition ain't the way, yeh, yeh.

Very superstitious, nothin' more to say,
Very superstitious, the devil's on his way,
Thirteen month old baby, broke the lookin' glass,
Seven years of bad luck, good things in your past

When you believe in things that you don't understand,
Then you suffer,
Superstition ain't the way, no, no, no.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love Stevie.

A couple of months ago I was in the mood for whatever reason for him. I was at Target and looked for a CD. The only one they had was "The Difinitive Collection" -- or whatever.

I bought it and LOVE IT!

Wanna listen to one that'll just rock your world right now as it relates to Bush&Co? If you've got it, put on "You Haven't Done Nothin" originally on "Fulfillingness' First Finale...

"We would not care to wake up
from the nightmare
That's become real life
But when mislead
who knows a person's mind
becomes as cold as ice

Why do you keep on
making us hear your song?
Tellin us how you are
changing right from wrong
Cuz if you really want to hear our view
You haven't done nothin."

Do-doo-wop! Yeah, baby.

Stevie Wonder is a treasure.

12:34 PM  
Blogger The Viscount LaCarte said...

"You Haven't Done Nothin"

You got that right Blue!

Love that tune.




kahkz - what THEY are!

12:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"kahkz" -- ha!

Isn't it funny how those verification thingys can be so relevant to what the post is about? It's just a riot.

You know -- when I was listening to that CD over and over and over -- I kept thinking -- where's the present day Steve Wonder?

Is it Kenya West, do you think? I dunno....doesn't seem to have the talent, the weight -- the staying power -- plus I'm so out of the loop with the new dudes.

1:07 PM  
Blogger XTCfan said...

Kahkz -- love it. They're all a buncha feckin' kahkz, Al.

The only thing I wanted to point out about "Superstition" is what a killer drum part Stevie plays. Whatta genius.

He makes me go all yqvtudfz

1:13 PM  
Blogger Soundsurfr said...

It's not Kanye West.

rewwxst - Where chixens sit.

1:37 PM  
Blogger The Viscount LaCarte said...

The only thing I wanted to point out about "Superstition" is what a killer drum part Stevie plays. Whatta genius.

My understanding is that he is that whole song except for the horns, but I couldn't verify it so I left that out of the post. He really is a genius.

I kept thinking -- where's the present day Steve Wonder?

If he exists, we'd be lucky to hear him.

1:56 PM  
Blogger The Viscount LaCarte said...

and still get a thrill just reading the lyrics you cited.

And on the outside chance that you (and others) don't know, clicking the title of the song (on these sorts of posts) should open a window that will play it

5:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home