Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Where Did You Get Those Shoes?

Steely Dan is coming to town with Michael McDonald. I’ve seen them now (in various configurations) a number of times, including Fagen in a small club in Manhattan with a killer band including Pat Metheny. Still, they are one of my favorites. And, say what you want about MM, (I’m not a big fan of his either) but I love his vocals on the Steely Dan sides. He did some nice work on “Katy Lied,” and was brought back for “I Got The News” on “Aja.” Personally, I’d like to hear him come out and harmonize on some of those classics.

The last time I saw them was here in Atlanta. I sprang for the best seats available and with everything it came to almost $300. It was a great show, and the only one I saw that year. When I heard they were coming in August to Chastain Park, I figured that I would pass because with 3 in college, we really can’t justify spending that kind of money for a show. We just don’t have it, and I’m too old and spoiled to sit in the shite sections. I’d rather stay home and watch the DVD.

Curiosity got the better of me, so I visited the site and saw that you could get “rear orchestra” for about $70 each. Pricey. But maybe? I told myself I wasn’t going to spring for them but I investigated further…

I selected 2 seats in the rear orchestra section and clicked "check-out." Here is the message from the website:



Talk about greed! You can’t buy tickets for just the show you want to see. You must buy tickets for 2 or more shows! Somewhere on the site it says that you can purchase tickets for one show only after June 27th subject to availability.

Gee, thanks.

I had read that Fagen hates the south. I have no trouble believing that, and the older I get, the more I agree with him. In “Pretzel Logic” he sings ironically:

I would love to tour the southland,
In a traveling minstrel show.

Sadly, I won’t be there with him, and I won’t get to hear McDonald sing the famous lines that got him the gig to tour and later record with the famous duo back in ’73 or so:

I stepped upon the platform
The man gave me the news
He said "You must be joking son
Where did you get those shoes?"

***

As a side-note, here is what Garrison Keillor had to say the last time he played Chastain. The comments are amusing. (page down some on the linked page.)

***
This week's Top 10 is here.

4 Comments:

Blogger Kevin Wolf said...

I know what you mean, Al. Serious scratch to see a show these days. I'd be tempted to see Spingsteen for this tour but can't really do it.

I will, however, catch the terrific singer Barrence Whitfield this week. Hell, he lives one town over. A local treasure. No cover, I think. Someday I'll finish my post about him.

10:53 AM  
Blogger roxtar said...

When I lived in Vegasbaby, SD were playing at the Hard Rock Hotel. Nice showroom, holds about 1,000. Got me a book and a folding chair, got in line nice and early, about 10 people in front of me. $125 a copy, but I was willing to pay that for the Dan.

By the time I got to the window, they were down to obstructed view, not together. I passed. Freakin' Ticketmaster. I'm done with concerts.

I saw Yes at Chastain Park back in '90 or so. Nice venue when the weather is fine (which it was....)

12:17 PM  
Blogger jemison said...

I am so psyched. I didn't think they would tour again after the "Everything must Go" tour a couple of years ago. I wonder if McDonald will handle some back up harmonies for old times' sake.

8:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A few years back I was at work and heard on the radio that Steely Dan was going to be at Blossom (outdoor venue here) that evening.

In a spontaneous move, I clicked on ticketmaster or whatever and got two pavillion seats -- $80 ea. Didn't broadcast THAT to the world then, but am now!

We were in the 20th row, dead center. It was amazing! The crowd was soooo into it. I love them.

I just heard Katie Lied on the radio a couple of days ago. Love that song.

Not that my comment should be so lovey-dovey -- but hey, what the heck. I love Michael McDonald's voice. That would be a great show to see.

8:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home