Monday, June 05, 2006

Attack on Reason

This new attack on reason has left me feeling defeated, demoralized, disappointed, disillusioned and despondent. As hard as I try, I just can’t see how legalizing same-sex marriage would be an attack on anything, let alone an "attack on marriage." I can’t see how it would have any impact on my own life or my own marriage or anyone else's for that matter. I can’t see any disadvantages to it for anyone. I can’t see how banning it would make things any better for anyone. My company recognizes domestic partnerships between two consenting adults regardless of sexual orientation. My marriage is still intact.

I was legally married to a member of the opposite sex in 1984. We were married in a Methodist Church by an ordained minister of that faith. That marriage was recognized by the US government and by The Methodist Church, and (presumably) received God’s blessing. It resulted in 3 children. The marriage failed and I was legally divorced in 1996. There were many reasons as to why this happened, but the prospect of legalizing gay marriage or even the mere existence of same-sex couples was irrelevant.

I have since remarried. Again to a woman. This time I was married in a government building by a judge. Not so surprisingly, the existence of same-sex couples married or not has not been a factor in the success of my current happy marriage either.

The point? My marriage is recognized by the US government, but it (presumably) didn’t receive God’s blessing. I am legally married as defined by the laws of our (barely) secular nation, but I don’t believe most churches recognize my marriage. I know the Catholic Church doesn't. This suits me and most likely them just fine. Churches are not forced to recognize legal marriages. I’m not only comfortable with this arrangement – I’m thrilled with it. Churches are free to believe in any stupid superstition they care to believe in and I'm free to reject their idiocy. Churches preach lies as truth and label truth as fiction every day. The fact is, I'm legally married. Their opinion of my maritial status is irrelevant. This is called "Freedom of Religion" and this is why the forefathers were careful to create the "wall of separation between church and state."

Same-sex marriage is no more a threat to other peoples’ marriages than my opposite-sex marriage. Discrimination is wrong. Organized, concerted discrimination for political gain as currently being practiced by The President and his minions in the Republican Party is despicable, disgusting, deplorable and demeaning.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

chuck champion, I'm sorry you're the whipping boy.

They're just using it. It's not really supposed to go anywhere.

I think lots of people are seeing through it this time.

Hopefully.

9:23 PM  
Blogger XTCfan said...

There you go again, Al, using logic to prove a point. When are you going to realize the futility of this approach in today's political climate?

Good luck, Chuck! I hope FB can pull this one off ... it would bode well for this November, mebbe.

5:27 PM  
Blogger The Viscount LaCarte said...

There you go again, Al, using logic to prove a point. When are you going to realize the futility of this approach in today's political climate?

I know, I should read the Jonathan Swift quote at the top of my blog every morning to remind myself.

Hey CC, thanks for the comments and for visiting The Viscount's.

6:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home