Sunday, July 23, 2006

...You Just Have to ROCK!

Ned reminded us that sometimes you just have to rock, and he does. Check out his very_respectable version of Johnny Winter's "Still Alive and Well," vox included.

I know just what he means.

One of these is not like the other.

A) Steely Dan
B) The Beatles
C) Rush
D) XTC

No doubt some people will not get that, but most of my regulars will.

No one is going to argue that Rush can’t play their instruments. If you ever picked up a guitar, a bass, or some drumsticks and heard these guys, you know.

Some people will argue that their music is overblown, derivative, bombastic tripe.

I’m too old to give a shit. I like some of their music and I forgive the shrill vocals (which got better as Geddy got older,) the pretentious lyrics (which also got better has life happened to Neil,) and the long songs.

A couple years back to celebrate their 35th anniversary as a band, they recorded an 8 song covers CD. They opened it with this, a remake of the hard-rockin’ Blue Cheer remake of “Summertime Blues.” (Check it out even if you hate their music.)

The Who’s “Live At Leeds” version remains my favorite, but this version prompted me to insist that my old-man cover band do this song. We mostly do early Beatles, early Stones rock and roll, but as the saying goes, “Sometimes…you just have to rock HARD!”

***
Speaking of Ned, his brother Bobby Lightfoot has written and recorded another gem, “Love Is Only Sleeping” (not the Monkeys song of the same name) and has graciously uploaded it for our listening pleasure. I think it is a great record.

5 Comments:

Blogger Kevin Wolf said...

I hate Rush but admit this is a respectable version of the tune. Still dislike the vocals though this isn't as bad as his worst. And I think they're playing it a tad too slow.

7:24 AM  
Blogger The Viscount LaCarte said...

Kind words from a "Rush Hater."

I hate Rush too - the other one...

8:13 AM  
Blogger Bobby Lightfoot said...

Thanx for th' pluggo, sluggo.

Here's where I am with Rush. I sort of feel the same way about them that I feel about The Welfare State. Huh?

Back in th' day, when we had fantastic, life-affirming, cool, smart and innovative bands popping up daily (i.e. 1979)I could afford to cast aspersions upon Geddy and the gang. Just for being corny. This would mostly have had to do with my insecure little 14-year-old punk rock cred.

Back in th' day I remember casting an aspersion or two on entitlements. See, I'm a musician so I've always lived in th' kind of neighborhoods where people trade their checks for dope. And I always had to be a real hard worker to keep my head above water and to keep my lead bicycle going uphill.

Now I say God Fuckin' BLESS Rush. They always meant it, man. And that drummer is ridiculous. And I'll be honest with you; I feel infinitely less insulted hearing them sing about being Th' Priests Of Th' Temples of Cyrynx then I feel listening to bands WHO'S VERY FIRST BREAKOUT SINGLE IS USED FOR AN AD SIX WEEKS AFTER IT'S RELEASED.

Imagine if "Love Me Do" had been a huge cornflakes ad in 1962. How would THAT've felt?

It's the same with th' Welfare State, man. I'd rather see my taxes go to 1 deserving family and 1000 crackheads than up Dick Cheney's scabrous, sore-ridden arm. Think if all that bread was flowing unto this country. We'd all be effin' rich.

Wow, that was hard. I kept...kept losing my train of...thought.

10:01 PM  
Blogger Kevin Wolf said...

Bobby has a good point, and I add that I don't actively hate Rush. Most of the time I don't even think about them. But I dislike their music when I do hear it.

Let 'em make their music. At least that's creation, not destruction.

10:46 AM  
Blogger Bobby Lightfoot said...

Oh- I meant ridiculous as in ridiculously good.

12:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home