Wednesday, August 16, 2006

A Change In Circumstances

I’m changing jobs. I was a corporate trainer on and off throughout the 90’s, and I loved it. After 9/11, the travel became problematic and the company I was working for wanted to turn me into a consultant which meant I would be on the road every week. I put my resume up on the ‘net at the end of 2001.

I landed at my current situation doing software development using an arcane and powerful software development tool that never caught on. I had the fortune / misfortune of working for the now defunct vendor of that technology in the mid-90's. (I say "misfortune" because the technology is fantastic but since it never caught on it has done very little for me career-wise.) I love the people and the work here at my current position, but the company was bought by a corporation that has little interest in my future. There have been numerous layoffs and new job openings in India. I mentioned this to a friend of mine who works for a large software vendor, and to make a long story short, I have been hired as a trainer with a start-date of September 5th. My last day at my current gig will be Friday the 1st of September.

This is a golden opportunity for me because I will be learning new technology that will update my skill-set and make me employable for perhaps the remainder of my working life. As I mentioned, I enjoy training and am looking forward to getting back into it. The downside is of course the travel. I will be on the road roughly 50% of the time – Sunday through Friday. It is the price I must pay. At least I’ll be racking up the frequent flier miles and hotel points.

In any event, the stress and excitement over this major change in my life as resulted in a form of writer’s block. I appreciate the support my regular visitors have given me, and I hope that once I’m set in my new position I will be back to my old, cantankerous self.

***
I've added two new links to my "Blogs" section. Please welcome Roxstar's "Black Sky Theory" and the new team blog, "The Anecdotal Antitdote."

3 Comments:

Blogger Kevin Wolf said...

Best of luck on the new job!

I've been at my current position for five years and increasingly believe that a change is sorely needed but I'm not sure to what.

1:46 PM  
Blogger roxtar said...

Thanks for the shout-out, and good luck with the new gig. If your travels bring you to the Pittsburgh area, holler!

3:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good luck.

9:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home