Sunday, August 06, 2006

I Gotta Have More Cowbell!


SNL - Blue Oyster Cult

No doubt we've all seen this, but I was in the mood to see it again today.

I love
Blue Oyster Cult (especially their first 4 studio records,) and Chris Walken is one of my favorite actors.

"Easy guys - I put my pants on just like the rest of you - one leg at a time. Except, once my pants are on, I make gold records."

"Don't Fear The Reaper" is perhaps their best known song (great feel and a fantastic instrumental break/guitar solo,) but for my money "Secret Treaties" is their best effort. Their lyrics are ironic, delivered with their tongues planted firmly in their cheeks, and the music is an odd mix of menacing arrangements and tuneful melodies. Interesting that like professional wrestling, you get the feeling that at least half their fans don't get the joke.

2 Comments:

Blogger Bobby Lightfoot said...

Woah, that SNL clip is tits. Walken should be bronzed.

Man, I think you might be going through what I do when I champion Roxy Music i.e. BLC Fan Club membership: 1.

I don't know anything but "Reaper" which is totally epic. I'll check 'em out and maybe I can join th' club.

9:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry for the late comment, Viscount, but I don't check your blog very often. "Secret Treaties" came out when I was in high school and the music geek that wrote reviews for the school newspaper turned me on to it. I finally bought it on CD not six months ago. It sounds remarkably modern for something that came out 32 years ago. "Dominance and Submission" rocks like all get out, and "Astronomy" just glistens. Glad to know someone else has heard of it. Bobby, whadja think?

10:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home