Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Cuplee 3, er, 4 Quotes - UPDATED!

"I do not believe in the creed professed by the Jewish church, by the Roman church, by the Greek church, by the Turkish church, by the Protestant church, nor by any church that I know of...Each of those churches accuse the other of unbelief; and for my own part, I disbelieve them all."

- Thomas Paine

"The difference between science and religion is the difference between a willingness to dispassionately consider new evidence and new arguments, and a passionate unwillingness to do so."

- Sam Harris

"The believing mind is externally impervious to evidence. The most that can be accomplished with it is to induce it to substitute one delusion for another. It rejects all overt evidence as wicked... "

- H.L. Mencken

21-Sep-2006 9:03 E.D.T. Note: My friend Decatur Dem aka The Pirate Roberts has a friend named Larry. I had the pleasure of having a couple beers and some stimulating conversation with those two gentlemen some months ago. Dem left one of Larry's quotes in the comment section of this post, but I think it deserves to be front and center."

"Some people will believe anything, as long as there's no evidence to support it."

- Larry

8 Comments:

Blogger Kevin Wolf said...

passionate unwillingness

Seems to describe a few politicians we all know.

7:28 AM  
Blogger Soundsurfr said...

And my ex-wife.

12:20 PM  
Blogger Soundsurfr said...

4th quote:

"You cain't learn a nigger to argue."

-Huck Finn-

12:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

To quote my pal Larry, speaking as I recall about some New Age flake (but there are a thousand pertinent applications):

"Some people will believe anything, as long as there's no evidence to support it."

5:11 PM  
Blogger The Viscount LaCarte said...

dd...

"Some people will believe anything, as long as there's no evidence to support it."

THAT is perfect!

8:02 PM  
Blogger Bobby Lightfoot said...

Of all th' people here I think Soundsurfr is th' closest one after me to actually going off the deep end.

10:32 PM  
Blogger Soundsurfr said...

Already there my friend. Already there.

12:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A man hears what he wants to hear, & he disregards the rest.

-- Paul Simon.

11:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home