Monday, January 15, 2007

I Want You Back


Before Elvis and before Joe Jackson, there was Graham Parker. While he didn’t achieve the same level of fame as the other two, he did make some fine records with his rockin’ band The Rumour, and he did help author and usher-in new-wave music. Many count “Squeezing Out Sparks” (released 1979) as his finest moment, and perhaps one of the greatest rock records of all-time. This track was recorded live around the same time and was included in the radio promo album “Live Sparks.” It has since become available on the CD version of “Squeezing Out Sparks” which includes both the original record and the “Live Sparks” collection.

Let’s listen to Graham Parker & The Rumour's fine remake of the Jackson 5’s “I Want You Back.”

Damn, but wasn't 1979 (through about '81!) a great time for music? What the hell happened anyway...

Buy it here. (or at your favorite record store!)

Graham Parker's Official Site.

AMG Biography.

5 Comments:

Blogger Kevin Wolf said...

I know Mr Lightfoot would agree with your comments on the 1979-81 "era."

GP certainly made some good records. I have this one (the studio/live CD) and I like a lot of the tunes on The Up Escalator.

7:30 AM  
Blogger The Viscount LaCarte said...

I remember that "Endless Night" got some serious airplay (Bruce on background vox) as did "Stupefaction."

8:18 AM  
Blogger Bobby Lightfoot said...

'79, Baby. '79.

This record is a RIOT on VINYL. Good ear, good ear. This one grew me up big as a lad.

4:19 PM  
Blogger jemison said...

Alone in America is a great album too...

2:35 PM  
Blogger roxtar said...

I can't explain how this escaped my notice, but thanks for bringing it to my attention. I always liked Nick Lowe and Dave Edmunds' stuff from the same era/genre. Can't believe I was not familiar with this.

8:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home