Sunday, March 18, 2007

As Cool Is it Gets

I love this video, and I love this song. John on lead vocals with Paul and George singing the backups. The Beatles changed styles and got more sophisticated on later songs, but this record is as good as any other they ever made.


From the film "Help," directed by Richard Lester (the man man who more or less invented the music video,) here are The Beatles with You're Gonna Lose That Girl.




The film drags here and there, but the music was great. I saw it when it was in the theaters (I was like 8 or 9) and I wanted to be just like them. I wanted to be in a band, skiing the Alps and jumping around with bikini-clad women on the beach.

Can you blame me?

4 Comments:

Blogger Bobby Lightfoot said...

Yeahhhh....see, this is the one, as far as I'm concerned. Somewhere between the smoke, the clothes, the hair, the Neumann U-48 tube microphones and the lighting one is enveloped in a haze of cool so thick and pure that one is tempted to simply relax ones bowels in sheer awe.

I like the little double entendre with the producer saying, "boys, are you buzzing?".

This song must have sounded so state-of-the-art in '65. It's such a hyper-sonic mid-60's doo-wop pastiche.

Poor Ringo!

9:09 PM  
Blogger Bobby Lightfoot said...

Dude- Bernard Purdie.

10:59 PM  
Blogger The Viscount LaCarte said...

Dude- Bernard Purdie.

Then who is playing the bouzouki?

7:23 AM  
Blogger Bobby Lightfoot said...

Overdubbed. By Bernard.

Reduction mix #32. May 8, 1965.

3:43 PM

3:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home