Sunday, March 25, 2007

Looking For A New Gig

I really shouldn't complain, but I am.

My marriage is one in a million. I adore my wife and we have lots of fun together. Six kids between us - 3 hers and 3 mine. By anyone's reckoning, they are doing as well as any kids in similar circumstances could be expected to do.

Still, I'm miserable.

I hate my job. I should say, I hate the circumstances of my job. I'm on week 2 of a 4 week tour. Home on Friday night. Back to the airport on Sunday afternoon. I am a corporate trainer. I more-or-less enjoy the work, in spite of my company's best efforts to stop that from happening. I work roughly 8-4:30, on my feet, explaining technology where my understanding ranges from spotty to comprehensive, depending on the course and the chapter.

Then it is back to the hotel, where I have to study for a couple hours a night because they are constantly wanting me to teach "new" courses. Eat at a local restaurant, usually a chain. Go back to the hotel. Call The Viscountess - talk for a half hour. Surf the stations and usually end up on MSNBC or CNN.

Toss and turn, waking up on and off for the next 5 or 6 hours and then do it again.

It sucks.

Got my resume up on Monster and with 3 or 4 headhunters. They all want java. I don't have java, nor do I want to learn it. It is stupid way to develop systems, but that is a whole 'nother post that is never going to be written by me.

I have to find some other way to pay the rent, because I can't stand this.

4 Comments:

Blogger Kevin Wolf said...

Oh, man, I feel for you. I'm in a job with some good, some bad but overall it's worse than it should be. Feels harder than it really needs to be.

Wish I had some solutions. I'm looking to get back into some kind of artwork (I keep saying) and see how that goes, but...

1:26 PM  
Blogger Bobby Lightfoot said...

Smart, personable and artistically leaning dude like you could probably be a really good booking agent if you had access to th' right talent.

2:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

God, Al. I'm so sorry you're so unhappy in your job. That stinks and I wish you a ton of luck finding something that you'll be happy with -- that'll keep you home.

I'm in somewhat of a career rut myself, but it's just me being so tired of what I'm doing. Doing the same thing at a different place wouldn't matter in the least. I'm hoping it's just a phase and I'll wake up one day all happy and motivated again. Yep. That's what I'm hoping for.

Well, sending good thoughts your way. You've taken the first step, so I hope that step leads to great things for you.

Good luck!!

3:51 PM  
Blogger The Viscount LaCarte said...

Thanks guys - I appreciate the support.

Got a couple leads. Something will pop, I know, but until it does it is just going to suck.

4:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home