Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Decatur Dem Speaks - Updated!

My friend, Decautur Dem really should have his own blog. Since he doesn't, I thought I'd share his letter to the editor of The Atlanta Journal Constitution which appeared in Saturday's edition.

Note: His LTA was in response to this.

THE REV. JERRY FALWELL, 1933-2007: Visionary stood as a hero of faith

- Al

To the Editor:

I was taught to avoid speaking disrespectfully of the recently deceased, but in the face of Rev. Benny Tate’s fawning tribute to Jerry Falwell (in the AJC op-ed page), I won’t hold my tongue. Tate holds that Falwell was a “great man”, but where’s the greatness? In the 1960’s he was a segregationist who blasted the Supreme Court’s decision in Brown vs Board, and whose radio show hosted the likes of George Wallace and Lester Maddox. Tate’s “hero of the faith” accused “pagans…abortionists…feminists…gays and lesbians…and the ACLU” of complicity in the September 11 attacks. And this so-called “visionary” seems to have paid a lot of attention to his visions of what goes on behind other people’s bedroom doors. Falwell was a prince? He sounds more like a bigot and a demagogue.

1 Comments:

Blogger Kevin Wolf said...

I couldn't never write a letter like that -- and would never send mine because it would be unprintable.

Good bye, Jerry, indeed.

12:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home