Monday, March 06, 2006

Crack in the Rain

I had very little time this weekend. The Duchess LaCarte has been blessed with a singing voice (as well as a sharp wit) in spite of the fact that my X couldn’t fake her way through “Happy Birthday,” and I can’t even lip-synch to it. She was named to the 2006 State Chorus, and I had to drive 4 ½ hours each way so I could be there. They were excellent and it was worth the trip, but it effectively reduced my Sunday to grocery shopping, laundry and little else.

I'm also quite busy at work at the moment. This means I don’t have a lot of time for the blog, but there’s always time for a song.

I have recently become acquainted with the music of the cult band known as The Negro problem. I had been hearing about them since the late 90’s, and thanks to Simon, I was able to get a hold of their debut album, “Post Minstrel Syndrome.” It is quirky, challenging, and ultimately brilliant – and it includes the best ever rendition of “Macarthur Park.”

Listen to this.

And, if you insist, here is the original version as "sung" by Richard Harris.

***
Don't forget this week's Top 10.

5 Comments:

Blogger Bobby Lightfoot said...

Man, I'm there. Mostly because of that beautiful sparkletop modded Rhodes 73 behind the guy.

I think I remember these guys. I think they might have been in my SoCal milieu. I'll check it out.

1:11 PM  
Blogger Soundsurfr said...

Knowing what I know and hearing what I've heard from TNP, I can't wait to hear this. At work now, so I'll wait 'till I'm home and can throw it up on the studio monitors.

Submarine Down!


drvwty - Pull in, and it makes a funny comment.

4:37 PM  
Blogger The Viscount LaCarte said...

I can't wait to hear this.

I can't wait to see what you have to say about it.

5:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have two questions:

Why does my system not recognize your playlist format? It's tricked out with just about everything, but I can never hear the stuff you put up. Is there a secret?

Is a Duchess the daughter of a Viscount or the Wife of a Viscount? Hard to tell with all that hair, and the bit about 6th grade could be a red herring. It could also be true, of course.

12:22 PM  
Blogger The Viscount LaCarte said...

Why does my system not recognize your playlist format?

I'm not sure why you can't play my songs. I use Putfile. Maybe you could go to their Help" section? There might be some setting on your computer that needs to be changed.

Is a Duchess the daughter of a Viscount or the Wife of a Viscount?

The Viscountess is the wife of the Viscount. The Duchess is the daughter of the Viscount. Since I'm making this up, it may not adhere to the real rules of royalty...

12:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home