Wednesday, February 14, 2007

What Would Jesus E-mail?

I’m in DC this week teaching a class. Class was canceled today due to inclement weather, so I’m confined to my hotel room at least for now.

I was only vaguely aware of the war that has been waged against Amanda over at Pandagon (currently down due to attacks by Christians) and Shakespeare’s Sister. Their crimes? They had the audacity to criticize the Catholic Church. Both had accepted positions from the John Edwards campaign and had gained some media attention. Catholic League President Bill Donohue had taken exception to this and as a result the two have received a deluge of hate mail from Christians.

Death threats.
Graphic, blatant, anti-women vitriol.
From Christians.

I’d like to add my name to the list of people who support those two intelligent and brave women. I’m never surprised, but consistently saddened by the hatred in the world that is the direct result of people believing in the patently absurd.

I’ve written extensively on the subject of my redemption from Catholicism, and my unwillingness to believe in things unsupported by evidence. If you are interested, I’ve included these links:

Deliverance From Evil

Just Another Heartwarming Story

Thoughts on Religion


Time to Listen to Richard Dawkins

Religion, Again

1 Comments:

Blogger Rachel said...

I am also with you on your principled stand against those who use religion to manipulate and kill.

The "Deliverance from Evil" post was definitely a must-read.

7:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home